I work for a small nonprofit, and we are subcontractors on a number of different Cycling and Active Transportation Plans that have been in the works for a while now. A lot of what I do is bring the social lens to these plans - the emphasis on creating programs and projects that support the development of a community around walking and cycling, while also encouraging infrastructure improvements.

What I'm struggling with right now is the degree to which we should be including discussions around the COVID crisis in these documents. To not do so seems disingenuous and, in my mind, makes the documents obsolete before they are even finished. But to include speculation about what will happen when we can't even estimate what will happen next week seems foolish as well.

I want to be an optimist about all of this - I want to hope that communities can use this moment as an opportunity not just to go back to "the way things were" but to find a better path forward - one that finally recognizes how much of our incredibly precious public space is taken up by cars, and how much those cars contribute the the very same social isolation that we're all feeling in the extreme right now.

Any thoughts? Tips? Ideas?

Hope you're all well.