Skip to main content

I work for a small suburb of Kansas City, Missouri. Currently we are finishing up an update to our Comprehensive Plan and will next be moving into doing the same to our zoning code and subdivision regulations. Much of the ideas that are behind the comp plan are the same principles that Strong Towns is based on. On the topic of neighborhoods being allowed to experience the next level of intensity (SF to Duplex etc.), could you name a few communities that have allowed this to happen in their zoning code and seen the desired results? My boss doesn’t think allowing a SF home to covert to a duplex is realistic, so he asked for me to provide some examples of places where it has worked. Thanks for all you do and I appreciate the feedback.

Where am I?

In Strong Towns you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Jacob Moses
Jacob Moses

Hey David, thanks so much for the thoughtful question. Daniel and Chuck responded to it in this afternoon's Ask Me Anything. You can hear their response in the video below. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1_dn-uW2ns&feature=youtu.be
WendyColbert
WendyColbert

Hi. It is important to agree with the residents before making changes. Usually the change plan is written and agreed at the local meeting.I am writing a scientific article on this topic, your interview can be used for annotated bibliography. Be sure to drop the link as the article will be published.