Very crude. But it’s a start. 
Very crude. But it’s a start. 
Keith introduced me to Strong Towns. PS Not my photo. 
Keith introduced me to Strong Towns. PS Not my photo. 

It’s been amazing how this pandemic has accelerated Parklets as a solution for more useable space for social distancing. Business owners are slowly starting to get it. Our City rolled out an emergency order that allowed a temporary, super low cost process to convert on street parking to dining and walking space. 

Our college town has become a hot spot of infections  Thankfully hospitalizations are manageable. Bars have recently been ordered to 50% capacity so they have naturally become the first to implement crude Parklets with jersey barricads and privacy fencing. 

I urged City Planning to bring community stakeholders early in process after they attempted to roll out an extreme half baked ordinance. They listened with the help of City Councils direction. 

We are now working towards a better short term solution focused on safety and long term design standards focused on more permanent installations.

2 months ago I felt like I was one of a small few recommending parklets. Thank you Strong Towns for giving me the resources and confidence to present solutions that will make my town stronger. This is proof that civic engagement requires us as citizens to meet our leaders and public servants where they are and start there.