I’m a new city planner for a small rural city in Georgia, and I really learned a lot from that presentation, thank you for providing it!  Here are my questions:

1. Joe mentioned an example, can’t remember what city, of a small shoe store 7ft wide that was paying more taxes per acre than a walmart. I can see why a smaller mixed use building can be more cost effective for the city but how can they (and all other high value small downtown stores) afford to pay that much more in property taxes? 

2. Also, if a local government is basically subsidizing suburban sprawl infrastructure, what would be the solution- increasing property taxes for those residents? Establishing Growth boundaries? Assuming that the city already has sprawl and can’t just take it away. 

3. Lastly, what are some of the best tried and true incentives a local government can establish to encourage downtown or local mom and pop stores as opposed to big box stores? Or is it unique to each city? Joe mentioned that a lot of cities’ development incentives encourage more big box store or big industrial development than small downtown development - so what are some good incentives for the latter? We definitely have more incentives for industrial development, but my small rural city (2,500 pop), is considering establishing downtown dev. Incentives like waving 1yr of water/sewer tap fees, business license, pouring license tax...are those good incentives or do you recommend better tried and true ones?