Skip to main content
Asked a question recently

OK, our town is suffering from big ugly McMansions on infill lots of the Old Town and destroying the charm of the Old Quaint Town. However, developers and property owners have property rights. So, is there a thread or a section of your book that helps our City and our Citizens persuade such developers to be more Old Town heritage sensitive in lieu of building the biggest baddest ugliest new kid on the block that the realtors salivate on the bigger the profit they will make on such aforementioned bastardization of our town? Thank you for any help.

Where am I?

In Strong Towns you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Hey Thomas, great to hear from you and thanks so much for joining the Strong Towns Book Club! Chapters one and two discuss the complexity of human habitats and how—through trial and error—our ancestors learned that the most resilient places incrementally adapt and evolve as the needs of the household or the neighborhood as a whole evolved. These McMansions, I imagine, can't adapt.

How are these infill lots zoned? Can a developer build anything besides large single-family homes? If not, I think you'll enjoy this article on dynamic zoning codes10

The Referenced Materials5 section for chapters one and two also include several links which will help give you the language to advocate for a more adaptable use on infill lots. I've included a few of my favorite links below: 

Let me know what you think.