Skip to main content
Dawn GoodwinStrong Towns Member
Support my run for City Council
Asked a question last year

A local real estate company has invited all the city council candidates (me included) to a breakfast "debate" they're sponsoring at the local Golf and Country club to find out how my candidacy will impact their industry. My slow-growth talking points have the old guard up in arms, I suspect they are going to try and mop the floor with my Strong Towns ideas. I have studied value per acre extensively - and I get it - but when pushed, I stutter. Math and engineering are not my strong suits, I can't afford an ArcGIS deskop and I fear my amateur data analysis is wrong. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to look at a few examples from my local tax assessors website and tell me if my value per acre analysis of mixed-use vs single residence is correct? Right now, they are tearing up the downtown area with dozens of new 275-450k homes in a neighborhood where the average house is 125k and in a city where the average income is 36k. I have a big opportunity to educate but I'm up against powerful real estate/ construction/ development interests in this town. I could really use some another pair of eyes on my numbers. Thanks!

Where am I?

In Strong Towns you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

I'll take a look. Email me at ajkelsey@grandroyal.org39. when is the breakfast scheduled?

Louis BurnsStrong Towns Member
President at Urban Prosperity Network

I did a step-by-step analysis using the free open source QGIS: https://urbanprosperity.net/how-to-calculate-and-visualize-value-per-acre-in-your-city113

If you've done a map you'd like reviewed, I can check it if you post a link to your data and output. Or if you have a list of questions you have trouble answering about the topic, you can post them here.