Skip to main content
Alex PlineStrong Towns Member
Chief Avian, Strong Towns Annapolis Birds of a Feather Group
Asked a question 4 months ago

Does anyone have references for Adequate Public Facilities criteria that are well suited for a small city (40,000) that has primarily infill development? Our APF criteria to me seems to have a genesis in typical suburban greenfield development. For example the Transportation section is focused on primarily automobility/LOS, and is being used as a NIMBY criteria for halting virtually all development. Clearly in a place with limited ROW, we are not going to (nor should we) expand any streets/roads. so other than nibbling around the edges with signalization technology, there is no way to meet these requirements. While we do have some transit options and we are mostly a compact 8 square mile area that makes it walkable and bikeable, people can not see a path forward to a substantial mode shift. If anyone is curious, this is the link to our APF code section: https://library.municode.com/md/annapolis/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TIT22ADPUFA

Where am I?

In Strong Towns you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Paul CorderStrong Towns Member
City of Lebanon, TN Planning Director

This is old (16yrs) but it is what I use if I need something.  Arthur Nelson has been doing some good work in other areas of planning so I trust him a little more than some other sources.

Planner's Estimating Guide: Projecting Land-Use and Facility Needs by Arthur Nelson52