Skip to main content
Asked a question 9 months ago

Hi, I live in Lafayette. I had heard of your organization before, but read recently that you're speaking in town in November. Your articles are inspirational, and we here in Lafayette are very lucky you did your case study on us. I live in a slowly gentrifying neighborhood close to downtown. I'd like to start to start applying some of the low-cost, high-return fixes you talk about to the neighborhood. I've noticed there are a lot of older homes occupied by people who can't afford to maintain them or rehabilitate them, and don't have the knowledge to do the work themselves. Just down the street from me, a young man and his mother are living in an old house that has extensive termite damage and bad sewer problems. Anyway, my question is: how did you get the map info you're using? Did the city share their shapefiles with you? Is there a portal that I haven't been able to find yet where the city does that? Shouldn't there be?

Where am I?

In Strong Towns you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Hi James. I'm really excited to be heading there next month. I was part of a team that worked periodically for a year to put those maps together. We pulled data from every city department -- their expenses and their revenue streams -- and then assembled that data ourselves. We created dozens of different maps, ultimately culminating in the mashup profit and loss map I think you're referring to.

When I say "we" I mean Urban 3 -- Joe Minicozzi's firm our of Asheville -- with me tagging along as a technical expert and, to help them think through how to do this. I didn't make any maps myself, but helped them work with the data so they could do that accurately. The original idea was that this would be a tool the city could then use and maintain, something that would inform them of their direction as they adjust policy. That part didn't happen, largely due to political changes/pushback and staff turnover. 

So I don't think the city has any of this data available, and it's now a few years old (too old for current analysis, but still valuable for story telling).

Sorry I don't have an easier answer for you.

Andrew Clum
Assoc. AIA, Urban3 Analyst

I was not a part of this project, however from a quick google search I found their webpage with their public parcel/GIS info:

http://lafay.maps.arcgis.com/apps/PublicGallery/index.html?appid=da8fbe9f3f7e4bf79d7178e00762593038